Painting

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
BernieQ2

Re: Painting

Post by BernieQ2 »

Ok found out from paint shop. Can paint over acrylic so all good.
Bernie.
norman
Location: Home Base...Paeroa.NZ OZ Base. Where ever we happen to be.......

Post by norman »

BernieQ wrote:Ok guru's can I paint enamel over acrylic undercoat/filler?
I remember some thing from years ago saying you cant paint one over the other but can paint other over the one? does that make sense
But I don't know which?
Bernie.

Quick answer YES...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt....
If at first you dont succeed, Skydiving is not for you.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

The thing to keep in mind with enamel auto paint, it never actually dries for 7 yrs or more, and once it does dry it will peal off in sheets. If the layer under neither is still wet, the coat on top will dry to a tough skin but the layer under neither will never dry until the layer on top peels or is removed. You can buy a product called enamel aid that will chemically set enamel paint in a similar way to how 2 pk paint sets rather than dries. It does give a very durable scratch resistant finish
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Thanks Terry now I'm worried the paints gunna fall of on the road side 6 or so years down the track.
BUT we are using a sorta two pack I open the tin and then hand over to Carol. Working so far.
I have ordered a new camera so when it gets here I will post some photos unless it needs a 10 year old to show me how it works, in that case will be during the coming school hols.
Just love watching Carol paint [hehe]
Bernie.
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

T1 is right Bernie,
Use the enamel add you will be glad you did.
It even adds to the gloss finish straight off the gun.
I am re-doing the paint on the roof and back of my bus and am using 2 pack auto paint.

My trade was painting, though houses not vehicles, though i have done quite a few of those as well over the years.

All the best,

Bernie
(yep, another one...)
Bernie B
I plan to stop procrastinating tomorrow.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Thanks mate.
The other Bernie.