Rapid Growth ?

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
Busman

Rapid Growth ?

Post by Busman »

Read an article in the Weekend Australian from a respect economics journo so I suspect the figures are correct.

China, in the years 2011-14 (3 years) used more concrete than the USA for the entire last century

And they wonder why the growth there cannot be sustained ?

William
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
Dot

Re: Rapid Growth ?

Post by Dot »

They need more space like our outback !! Imagine in another 50 yrs or less there will be no more red dirt out there to complain about :)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

China has come to the end of it's growth period, as has the rest of the planet and we are now on a downwards spiral, which will see the end of our societies as we know them. The only thing that can maintain economic growth, is population growth and it's associated consumer throw away societies. As the planets resources are finite and the ability of the planet to support human life is finite, the only outcome with the approach we have used, is disaster and that is about to hit world societies.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Happy Australia Day to you

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
Busman

Post by Busman »

So why not just pull the pin now ?
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

I woke up happy but now I dunno..........
Talk like that might be why there's so many suicides these days?
Not sure why we need 'growth' of any sort?
I think of an umbrella going up & down.
If it always goes up so far & always comes down the same distance it'll go up & down for ever.
Gigantic growth up & drastic falling is fraught with problems. Someone will win & others lose.
Anyway I'm having a lovely Aussie Day & no one will take THAT away from me!!
Hope you all enjoy your day!!
BruceS
Mannum, SA

bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

We need growth to sustain those of society who don't actually produce anything useful.
like bankers, politicians, economists, etc.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

:lol: Every economic system goes through cycles, greed and corruption usually speeds up the collapse phase and the greater the size of the economy effected the greater the pain on the downward spiral. These cycles have ups and downs, the capitalist style has the wildest ups and downs, no other economic system has the growth rate of capitalism and China tried its own version of capitalism with a communist rule to control it.... worth a try, it did wonders for the growth cycle and now China is looking to expand its internal market. Profits suffer as exports are where the big money is made, but an internal market uses commodities produced by the working classes more than any other market and these are the people they need to keep employed. It is an interesting experiment and will produce valuable lessons for the rest of the world, support your internal markets first, then look to exports for profit, not the other way around. We are learning the hard way that exports are a short term gain but long term pain plan and those who made the gains rarely suffer the pain.

As for the population growing or shrinking, we are going through a technological phase as far as health and birth rate goes, we are moving from the preventative method that may give you a few more yrs to the repair method that does give a few more yrs.
The things that killed people not to long back like heart disease, diabetes, brain tumours, aneurisms, these sort of things are now much less of a killer than there were, given the rate of increased success these will start to move into the more routine medical procedures rather than ground breaking procedures. The next steps are still rather controversial but stem cell therapy using the patients own stem cells I think will be the next big breakthrough, not prevent but more repair the damage so the body becomes strong enough to fight back. The other great breakthrough will be nano 3D printing using a mix of organic materials and the patients own cells to build new parts to replace the damaged ones, no rejection drug therapy required then as the body would recognise the replacement as part of itself and feed it rather than try to get rid of it. This will all lead to longer life cycles, we have already reduced the birth rate compared to pre industrial days as we seem to be able to keep enough kids to drive us made and don't need a tribe to do all the work. If we live longer then our working lives and more importantly our productive lives will be longer so we no longer need to put an old head on young shoulders, it can stay on our own shoulders and the reduced number of young will be nurtured into absorbing the knowledge already gathered and building on that rather than trying to take up the reigns where the last person dropped out and try to follow their lines of thought.

We live in amazing times, I don't see the future through pessimistic eyes but rather through eyes opened wide and a mind willing to accept that the order of things is still evolving.

How's that for this early in the day :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
norman
Location: Home Base...Paeroa.NZ OZ Base. Where ever we happen to be.......

Post by norman »

I,ll have what your on Terry..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt....
If at first you dont succeed, Skydiving is not for you.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

norman wrote:I,ll have what your on Terry..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
A ltr bottle of Jack Daniels, only half way through but working on seeing the end of it :lol: Made even better by being donated by my ever loving wife.... although she did block my last refill at a friends place so I had to wait till I got home to restart the project :o 8-)
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO