Living on a houseboat

Anything you like to talk about..Dot is the boss...
GoinBush

Living on a houseboat

Post by GoinBush »

Thanks to Lance, I am starting a new fred :D

Copied and pasted from the other one...

Questionoriginally to Bruce but welcome all answers and info, I find the idea of floating down a river fascinating.

I toyed with that idea for a while but know nothing about it. Can you just float up and down the river at will and moor where you like and go to Safeway for your chops/play pokies/go hairdresser or does it cost?

Can you tell me more about it all please? What do you do for internet? Sewerage? Water? Do you have a motor car parked somewhere?
When did you move onto it? Did you used to have a motor home? Tell all, enquiring minds want to know 8-)
GoinBush

Re: Living on a houseboat

Post by GoinBush »

Bruce has scarpered since I posted my question. I think it must be a secret society this houseboat business :lol:
I reckon he is plotting how he can shut the forum down. :lol: :lol:
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

I imagine there are different rules in the different states.
We have done a little houseboating about the Echuca area and you can stop where you like as long as it was signposted not to. The Murray river on the NSW/Vic border is technicaly all NSW but cannot be privately owned on the Victorian side. It can be private property on the NSW side so pulling up there is discouraged sometimes. Echuca -( Torumbarry wier to Barmah bridge) is a very popular spot serviced by a lot of houseboat renters.
Above Barmah bridge there is some tricky waters not really suited to larger houseboats, above Tocumwal there are a lot of submerged snags and logs so hard going there too, although the beaches are beautiful.
homeless

Post by homeless »

I will try and answer some of the questions.
You can pull up in most places as long as there is no sign to say it is private property.
Most towns encourage house boats to stop and have places especially for you to tie up.
There is fuel available at regular distances but in some places you may have walk. Most have small trollies to carry 3 jerry cans.
Waste water can be dispensed at the many places the length of the Murray and usually you carry anything up to a months supply, I can go more than 6 weeks but not sure of my limit.
I am creating a spreadsheet with all the fuel and dump point data as well as all towns and thing to see to go into my GPS
River levels are controlled by locks and you have to time your arrival for your direction, some you ring ahead but they are all free and besides you are not in a hurry
Food is available at nearly all towns in a short walking distance but I will carry a electric bike just in case as well as to look around.
I have spent over 8 years in a converted bus and now plan to cruise up river for a few years and then if I am still here drift back again.
I cruise at about 6 KMS/hr and intend to only steam for two hours a day and perhaps 3 days a week.
I carry 120 litres of fuel in tank and 3 jerry cans as well as 120 litres of water in tank as well as a 200ltr drum collecting rain water. Showers etc come from river.
Power is 400Ah x12v LifePo4 batteries and 2kw of solar. Will be adding my excess portable panels as well as the panels from my trailer so perhaps another 700+w. You can have lots of solar as weight is not a consideration. If I sell my bus and they don't want the batteries I may add them as well but I really wont need them as even though I am all 240v I have enough power for three days with no sun and can easily fill from low SOC in a good day so dont expect to run out of power as configured.
My boat is small 12m x 5m but for one person it is comfy.
Bruce will give you better info as he has more experience than me.
I hope this is a help till you get more.
Regards
Brian
12 × 5 house boat moored at the present in Mannum Waters Marina.
Converting to LiFePo4 for float alone status
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Can't really add a lot more.
There are so many variables .... just like talking about caravans & motorhomes.
Most houseboats do have a base of some sorts.
A marina berth is no big deal breaker and it does give you some extra advantages.
You can leave it & go away and rest assured there are lots of good people or marina manager to keep an eye open for your boat.
Most marinas supply water, power & pump out facilities at varying costs. (Free to minimal)
I had to laugh with your 'drift down the river'! All houseboats have either outboard or inboard motors.
I won't bother going into costs because there are just so many variables..........
Usually the bigger they are, the more they cost.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

GoinBush

Post by GoinBush »

Yes I realise they have motors :lol: floating down the river just sounds more romantic!

Thanks for all the info, fascinating. None of you have said you love it though :?
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

The Mannum mob just don't want everyone to know - or else everybody will want one.
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
homeless

Post by homeless »

The idea is to take my time. You need to use more fuel effort to go up stream but going down if you want to take your time you only need to stay in the deep water so you need to maintain steerage only so to me drifting.
At the moment I am in a marina but when I take off I will bew just out there but there are many places you can moor for extended times and many marinas will give you time to attend to matters if needed.
Some farmers will allow you to tie up and go into town but you hve to be aware the water level can change quickly if the lock above lets water out or the wind changes and alterrs the amount of water going down. Eg the wind can hold the flow up but when it drops so does the water.
Mrcoolabah1au

Post by Mrcoolabah1au »

No back shed or no car 🚗 port grass mite be a bit of a problem no greenhouse no flower 🌺 to pick and no shade from the gum 🌲 😳
Coolabah1au
Wayne nini
homeless

Post by homeless »

Wont need the car and the shed contents I need will come with me.
Garden ?well I will have what I need. Veg herbs and a couple of dwalf trees. 1 lemon /lime the other orange and mandarin. Herbs I have many and the vegs are mainly chillies tomatoes capsicums.
Shade trees are every where depends whether you want shade or sun but the panels were set up to allow for some shade from trees.
Bus will be sold as soon as I put new awning on and a dab of paint and a clean out.
Shed /Trailer is still up in the air.