Beach or bush?

Anything you like to talk about..Dot is the boss...
dream4red

Re: Beach or bush?

Post by dream4red »

Mrsjustgarbage wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:47 pm
dream4red wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:56 pm ......I think that Shirley and I will tell you that living beside lovely Lake Macquarie is a lot like that......
Deborah how is the water quality at the southern end of the lake these days. We have not sailed there for yonks. Back then I think there were warnings in place against eating the fish caught.
We live as far South on the lake as you can get, and there are definitely no warnings signs about contaminated fish. We catch crabs, usually from our jetty and they haven't killed us yet. The only warning signs now are that the waters near the power station outlet are out of bounds in late winter/early spring due to the numbers of fish breeding grounds in that area. But we do have quite a few shark sightings in the bay, so swimming is a little bit risky. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Deborah

Just get out there and enjoy life
Helen Grose

Post by Helen Grose »

El Gringo i lived in Umina for 30 odd years great place rared two boys there now my son is bring his four kids lots of memories [emoji5]

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

Helen Grose wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:20 am El Gringo i lived in Umina for 30 odd years great place rared two boys there now my son is bring his four kids lots of memories [emoji5]
You might remember my uncle's cake shop, on the main street towards the ocean beach end.
Butterworth's Cakes IIRC. He (Brian) lived there for a long time, raised his 3 kids there too.
I worked at his shop one Christmas holidays 6 days a week for 61/2 weeks when I was 7, got 10 bob a week. I wanted to buy a push bike that cost 7 pound and ended up 10 bob short.
Dad came to the party and gave me the rest... Then I was never home. :lol:
We only lived there for about 10 years, but they were very formative years, from 4 to 14. Grew up pretty wild and free in those days.

Then my parents were able to afford a deposit on their first home in Wyoming, just out of Gosford.
liked it there too.

Then later to Bundaberg in QLD.

Have fun...
Bernie B
I plan to stop procrastinating tomorrow.
GoinBush

Post by GoinBush »

Never heard of Wyoming NSW, you learn something every day :-)
justgarbage

Post by justgarbage »

El Gringo wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:15 pm You might remember my uncle's cake shop, on the main street towards the ocean beach end.
Well El Gringo some more garbage for you. :)

Whilst I don't recall your good Uncle's cake shop, it seem's that Maryanne certainly did. Habitually every day from Monday to Friday, August to November in 1970. The last 4 months of her pregnancy.

Such was her love for your uncle's cakes she went from twiggy to sperm whale sally in a little over 4 months.

Delighted that the garbage's made a significant contribution to your good uncle's coffers.
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

justgarbage wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:38 pm
El Gringo wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:15 pm You might remember my uncle's cake shop, on the main street towards the ocean beach end.
Well El Gringo some more garbage for you. :)

Whilst I don't recall your good Uncle's cake shop, it seem's that Maryanne certainly did. Habitually every day from Monday to Friday, August to November in 1970. The last 4 months of her pregnancy.

Such was her love for your uncle's cakes she went from twiggy to sperm whale sally in a little over 4 months.

Delighted that the garbage's made a significant contribution to your good uncle's coffers.
:lol: :lol:
Yep, it seems he did pretty well for himself, I loved his apple turnovers and lemon slices.
Didn't much care for cleaning the baking trays for 6 1/2 weeks but.. ;)

By the end of 1970 we had moved to Bundy.

Cheers,
Bernie B
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

GoinBush wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:37 pm Never heard of Wyoming NSW, you learn something every day :-)
Do you remember Eric Warrels (spelling?) Reptile Park when it was just north of Gosford?
Used to have the life sized dinosaur out the front.
Well, if your turned right at that corner and went up the hill, that was Wyoming.
Lots of bush around back then.
Our neighbour at the back used to raise snakes for the reptile park, wasn't much fussed when they got out though...

Cheers,
Bernie B
GoinBush

Post by GoinBush »

Sorry Bernie, I don't even know Gosford. :shock:
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

GoinBush wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:24 pm Sorry Bernie, I don't even know Gosford. :shock:
Ha ha, my bad (as the kids say these days...) I just assumed, and I know the rest of that saying... :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Bernie B
GoinBush

Post by GoinBush »

Do you go through it or around it when heading up to Forster? If so, I know it. :lol: