What material for rags

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
Dot

What material for rags

Post by Dot »

question for all the car tinkerers out there.
What type of materials do you use in the workshop? Cotton, towelling = yes but any other eg, cotton / polyester mix?? and what size ? 600 x 600 ?
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
BernieQ2

Re: What material for rags

Post by BernieQ2 »

What ever I can sneak with out of her wardrobe getting court .
Oh for the 'op/shop no doubt what ever takes grease of Dot the nylon one not much good 600x600 is a good size for me.
Bernie.
Dot

Post by Dot »

In a prev life we used rags 2ft x 2ft and just cotton or towelling. I see an auto place starting with R has them advertised as 10kg for $35 but on special at $19.95. I asked what was the size and type of material he replied "these are all sizes (scraps) and materials and come from a company that gets the old clothes from the sally's etc etc" And here we are cutting the cotton rejects up to a good size and flogging the 5kg bag for $10. Now that is what I call good quality and value for your buck :D Bernie there is a name for men that steal their wife's clothing :lol: :roll:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Only if you get caught wearing them :!: :roll:
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
Dot

Post by Dot »

someone in a pink too too springs to mind from a far far away place :)
Keevo52

Post by Keevo52 »

Hi Dot
In another life when I was working for a charity in NSW (HWNS) one of the many hats I wore while there was managing a sewing and cloth cutting business unit, the first quality rag used by paint shops etc is T shirt cotton, white being the best, coloured next best, the rest, denim, towelling, sheets were graded as second quality and did not attract the top price, we used to buy bails of second hand clothes from another charity,(like the Sally,s) sort the material into light or heavy cotton then cut them using cloth cutters then sort into the different grades.
This process employed 15 disabled employees who loved coming to work. $35.00 for 10 Kg is a reasonable price if its all good quality cotton and of a good size.

Cheers

Keevo52
PS see you around the 23rd Jan
Chris aka Keevo52, Living at Fishing Point Lake Macquarie NSW Husband to Glennis, and now accompanied with our Mini Poodle Coco, wishing we were back on the road in our winnie and toad.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Hi Keevo and ta, I thought denim would be too heavy but that was interesting.. The race is going through Ashbourne (near here) and Strath as well :)
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Dottie,
I have a large chaff-bag full of discarded T-shirts, flannellette shirts, sheets too old & thin to use on the bed (cotton only - we don't buy synthetics), etc.
Apart from cutting the sheets into manageable 1m x 1m squares, I leave all clothes complete & cut to size when I need one... usually for polishing wood-turning, so small pieces <30cm sq. I find the flannellette the best for polishing, but sheets are good in multiple layers.
Polishing rags are discarded promptly... some polishes when heated against wood give off a flammable residue! Saw item in mag: polish rag in sealed jar... spontaneous combustion in under 1hr!
Denim bits are used to mop up shed spills. No towels old enough to discard from household duty yet... Joy holds onto them for spills inside house!
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields

Return to “What's Your Question Please?”